Friday, February 6, 2009

3 weeks on the slope.....


  Well, I didn't get to do much hunting related activity in the last 3 weeks since I've been working up on the slope the entire time.  I worked over an extra week which means I had to spend a total of 3 weeks away from my family.  It was tough but it will help cover the vactions I plan on taking this year.  I didn't get to the gym much in the last 3 weeks as I spent most of my time working.  I worked 343 hours in the 21 days I was at work to be exact.  That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to exericise.  Plus what helps me through the long days is good food!    I did workout a few times but I think any progress I made in the gym was offset by the polar bear size portions of food I consumed.  
   Tomorrow, Feb 06, the hunting permits are suppose to be posted by the Alaska Fish and Game.  That means that I will find out if I drew any special permits for either Dall Sheep or Mountain Goats for the 2009 hunting season.  To me this is equal to Christmas morning for my 3 boys.  I have beeen checking the A&FG website everyday for 2 weeks even though the results aren't suppose to be out until the 6th of Feb.  This is a big deal!   Fingers are crossed, maybe I should have taped that $100 bill to the back of my application after all.......we'll see.
   The above picture is of the wonderfull sunrise at 11:00 am!  Good news is that we are gaining daylight.  Temps were a bit on the chilly side for my 3 weeks spent on the "slope" as it is commonly referred to.  Most mornings were in the -38 t0 -40 temp range, which is on the edge of us even being able  to work.  We shut down at -40 ambient, no wind chill, because frostbite will happen so quickly.  Not to mention our equipment doesn't work like it is suppose to at those temps.  I was only shut down for "weather" for 2 days in my 3 weeks.  Not too bad for this time of year.   Enjoy the sun if you have it!

2 comments:

  1. brrrrrrrr.....and we are having a cold front and I am dying - ours is only 60 degree weather but cold. They almost closed schools because the mornings were 20 degrees with the wind chill - ha! We are a bunch of babies in south Florida!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the you portions of food were realitve to the amount of energy you were spending working and freezing (that is a good justification for not working out). Enjoy the family. Troy

    ReplyDelete