Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Big Buck Contest







  I stopped by the local gun shop, Boondocks, to see how I did in this years Big Buck contest.  I had entered a nice deer I had taken on Kodiak Island in Nov.  I was happy and surprised to find out it had finished well enough to win a new Remington .22 rifle.  The boys were pretty happy as they think this new "weapon" is just right for them.  I know one thing for sure we'll have a hard time ever loosing it, as the stock is painted blaze orange.
  The reason his antler is broken off is that when I shot him, with a shotgun slug, he turned and ran straight down hill and in his death sprint he stepped in a hole and did a summer sault which broke his front leg and he buried his antler into the mountain and snapped it off.  He was dead by the time he stopped rolling.  It was extremely steep and I had to climb back up hill about 30yds from where he was laying to find the antler buried into the ground.  Pretty neat looking rack even if it did get broken.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the new Blaze Orange .22 - I like the story of the broken antler, you gave me a good laugh this morning. I hope all is well with you and one of these days we are going to make it up to see you.
    Troy

    ReplyDelete